DrawingBrush, Fishbowl and Silverlight

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Hello and Merry Christimas,

I was surprised to find that the DrawingBrush class is being used in Fishbowl. I thought SL4 doesn't support DrawingBrush:

• Are we mixing WPF and SL here ?
  • How come that the DrawingBrush class can be used ?
  • How can I edit the images/icons ? For instance, the HomeDrawingBrush in DrawingResources.xaml ?

thanks a lot in advance

Frank

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I found that we are using the StreamGeometry for displaying the icons. Not sure why we have the DrawingBrush class in there..

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Fishbowl is strictly WPF, no Silverlight involved.  The drawing brush is used to visualize the various geometries.  To edit them I usually just copy the geometries into blend to tweak them independent of everything else.

Hope that helps.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Thanks Joe. I am confused to hear this. Everywhere on the internet it says MS is using Fishbowl to demo Silverlight

http://dotnetwizard.net/soft-apps/fishbowl-is-a-silverlight-powered-desktop-facebook-application-from-microsoft

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/fish-bowl-microsoft-launches-silverface-based-facebook-client/

Best
Frank

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2011 at 3:18 AM

There was some confusion when Fishbowl first launched because there was also a Silverlight client that was being developed in parallel, and was shown at PDC at the same time Fishbowl was released.  Corrections were sent to most of the articles that covered Fishbowl and incorrectly attributed the platform to be Silverlight.  The Silverlight version became Telerik's Facebook client, but the source is not currently available.  It doesn't share a codebase with Fishbowl, but I was in communication with the original developers of the other application and there are some shared ideas between the two.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:18 AM

That's too bad. Are there other Silverlight projects that you are aware of that I can study?

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM

It depends on what you want to study out of it.  WPF is pretty similar to Silverlight for the most part.  It would take work, but this app could be ported to Silverlight.  Things gleaned from studying Fishbowl would to a large extent map to Silverlight.

I don't know of any Silverlight apps that have been written that are of this scale.  Looking for Windows Phone 7 apps and tutorials might be the best way to go.  So far as Facebook APIs are concerned, I think there was a revamp of the Facebook SDK on Codeplex that probably supports Silverlight.

Hope that helps,

-Joe