Getting Started Guide

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Hi, 

do we have a getting started guide on how to "explore" fishbowl ?

- I built the system successfully

- However, I have problems opening the MainWindow in either VS2010 Designer view or Expression Blend ( In Expression Blend, I am getting an error message saying SystemParameter2 does not exit in namespace Microsoft.Windows.Shell

Thanks a lot

Frank

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM

If I remember right, the problem with blend probably is that it doesn't understand how to open the x86 project and the anycpu one may not have all the dependencies properly registered.  blend 4 is much better at visualizing the project than 3 was because so many of the visuals are indirectly loaded from resource dictionaries at runtime.  What is the error vs gives you?

There isn't a getting started guide available, but if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer, or if you change a ything in your copy that makes it easier to understand or just generally better I can also try to incorporate patches.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Hi Joe,

thanks so much for the quick reply. When trying to open the main window in the designer in VS2010, I get

Error 7 Attachable property 'WindowExtensions.HwndBackgroundBrush' cannot be attached to objects of type 'FrameworkElement'. C:\Projects\FacebookClientV1\Fishbowl\MainWindow.xaml 26 9 Fishbowl

Best
Frank

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Joe, while you read the previous post, is it okay to post a freelancer job request in the discussion forum. I guess not, right ?

Coordinator
Dec 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I thought I had fixed that particular issue, but the change must have gotten lost... The problem is that the attached dependency property only works on Window, but the design surface uses a proxy class that doesn't inherit from Window.  If you modify the code in WindowExtensions to check for IsInDesignMode and exit before it tries to use the property as a Window that should fix the problem.  I'm not going to be near a computer to check in that change until next year (typing this on my phone), but i will when i am back.

hope that helps

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Hi Joe,

Im getting the same error, but I am unable to fix it.

Can you please be more precisely how to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

It looks like the DesignMode check is present in the HwndBackgroundExtension.  VisualStudio's designer seems to just not like that there isn't a static Setter that has the signature of a FrameworkElement.

If you change the signature of Set/GetHwndBackgroundBrush in WindowExtensions.cs to be FrameworkElement instead of Window it gets past this error (I need to do something additional to ensure that non-Window classes are only set in design mode...).

That leads to the next error being a null deref in MainContentContainer OnLoaded, which is easily fixable by putting if (System.ComponentModel.DesignerProperties.GetIsInDesignMode(this)) { return; } into both OnLoaded and OnUnloaded. 

That leads to the next error about SimpleButtonStyle not being found, and that's probably just a default theme resource dictionary not being found, but I don't have time right now to look deeper into it.  If I get a chance I'll update the sources so the main page will load, but you should be able to follow those steps to get past the first couple errors and you may be able to get the window loading in the designer before I have time to.