Most uptodate interaction technick for WPF-desktop

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:06 AM

What is the most uptodate technique to interact with facebook using wpf?

Or briefly..  facebook_connect VS facebook_API ???

I need the most discreet technique, meaning using background code and avoiding facebook-popup windows

Thank you :)

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Ultimately everything in Facebook is just REST calls.  You have to host their login page to authenticate and then you just make web calls against their servers.

Contigo is a standalone DLL that Fishbowl uses for connecting to Facebook.  All the source is available through Codeplex, but I think it should generally work as-is for most purposes.  It exposes a FacebookService object that has notifiable collections of different Facebook data that you can bind to, such as the NewsFeed, Albums and Friends, and then it automatically updates those at different intervals.  It's pretty straightforward to use these collections from WPF UI.  There are some things in Facebook that aren't exposed because I haven't had time to build it out (e.g. Pages and Events) and some other things like FQL that I'm intentionally not exposing because of the way the collections work.

Alternatively there's the Facebook Developer Toolkit (http://facebooktoolkit.codeplex.com/) but it doesn't look like it's being maintained.  If you'd like you can try using Contigo to see if it works for your needs.  I can try to support issues you find with it.  If you want more direct access to anything, you can look at the source as an example of how to interact directly with Facebook.

Hope that helps,

-Joe

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:53 PM
Thank you very much for your answer :)

I'll definatelly give it a try, your support would be really valuable

Dimitris

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM, JoeCastro <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

If you'd like you can try using Contigo to see if it works for your needs.  I can try to support issues you find with it.  If you want more direct access to anything, you can look at the source as an example of how to interact directly with Facebook.

Hope that helps,

-Joe